Monday, November 30, 2009

Nicotine Addiction Don't Believe The Hype

I'm a person who smoked cigarettes for more than 15 years and learned a few things through the process of quitting. I'm going to pass on what I learned from quitting with the hopes that these things might help you quit as well. The biggest thing to understand is exactly what the title of this article saysDon't believe the hype. There is a TON of hype surrounding the subject of nicotine and being addicted to nicotine. From someone who's been through it, let me clue you in. Almost every bit of what you hear is hype. Hype designed to sell you something to help you 'kick' the habit. That something designed to help you might be in the form of a patch, gum, lozenge, or pill. The point is that there are people and companies who want you do believe that quitting nicotine is going to be the most difficult thing that you've ever done. That way you're much more apt to spend your money on their product for help. It's really a vicious cycle that you need to come to terms with. So now that we know not to buy into the hype, what do we do? The most important thing that I did was change my thinking about smoking and quitting smoking. When people would say how difficult quitting smoking was going to be, I would simply not engage in such conversations. I stopped even thinking about the supposed negative aspects of quitting the use of nicotine. I told myself, as often as I could, how simple quitting was going to be. I would even go so far as to actually talk to the cigarette that I was smoking. I did this when I was alone of course. I would hold up the smoking cigarette and say something like, "this is going to be no problem at all". You see, I heard it said somewhere that you become what you think about, all day long. That is, if you think quitting nicotine is going to be hard, it is! If you think it's going to be easy, it is! It may sound crazy, but that's what I did. It took about six months and then one day I went into my pack for a cigarette. There was only 1 left. I removed that cigarette, looked at it, and said, "This is it, I'm done." I smoked that cigarette, and it was the last one that I've ever smoked. We're there times I wanted one? Sure, but I didn't smoke any more, so I didn't. It was as simple as that. No stress, anxiety, or difficulty about it. I had changed the way I though about smoking, so changing the act was more or less a natural progression. Remember; You become what you think about.

No comments: