Thursday, January 28, 2010

How I quit smoking

If your a smoker I have no doubt that at one time or another you will have thought about trying to quit smoking. In fact most if you will have gone a ste further and actually tried to quit smoking but statistics show over ninety percent will have failed in their bid to quit smoking. The question is then why do so many fail in their bid to quit smoking with so many products on the market to help you. I was a smoker from the age of fourteen like most people who start when they are teenagers I started mainly because of peer pressure. Although I never particularly liked the taste of smoking I never really thought of giving up my habit. However this all changed three years ago . My partner and I found out we were expecting our first child so I decided to finally try and quit smoking. Not just for my own health but for that of my unborn children (we were expecting twins). I started my quest to quit smoking with the most popular product on the market nicotine patches. For the first fortnight they seemed to be doing the job and helping me quit smoking but once the strength of the patches decreased so my urge to have a cigarette increased. By week three I was sneaking the odd cigarette here and there and by the forth week I was back where I started . Nicotine patches had failed and so had my first attempt to quit smoking. A few weeks passed and I decided I was ready to give it another go. This time I thought I would use nicotine gum to aid me in my bid to quit smoking. I don't think I have ever tasted anything as disgusting as nicotine gum in all my life. Despite the awful taste I tried to proceed but early into the second week I just could not handle the taste of the nicotine gum anymore. At no point during the nine or ten days did I go a full day without a cigarette so not only was nicotine gum awful in the taste but it was also a useless product to me. My second effort to quit smoking had also ended in miserable failure. I decided to try my GP for help in my mission to quit smoking. After discussing the methods I had used to try and quit smoking and fabricating the truth a little about my general health my GP prescribed me to a product called zyban. I was amazed at the almost instant results with zyban it seemed to kill my urges straight away. However this was another false dawn. A couple of weeks into using zyban I woke one morning feeling hot and flustered I then came out in an awful boil like rash. To cut a long story short I found out these where the effects caused by zyban. I later did a little research on zyban using the internet and found it to be a product that worryingly had many side effects, dangerous side effects, which on occasions had even caused death. I now thought my attempt to quit smoking was over. In a last ditch effort I trawled the internet for ideas on how to quit smoking and I came across a site that claimed they could show you how to use many techniques to help you to quit smoking just by using your own will power. I was skeptical but felt I had nothing to loose. I couldn't believe it when the methods actually worked. I kept thinking it would pass and my urges would over power me but sticking to the techniques actually worked. It's now just over two years since I quit smoking and I still can't believe that having tried the so called smoking aids nicotine patches, nicotine gum and even tablets in the form of zyban it was actually down to my own will power that finally helped me to quit smoking.

1 comment:

Electric Monkey said...

Kudos to you- This is a lesson for all smokers trying to quit. Using your own will power and determination can get you far. Good luck and stay strong!